<-- Back to anniversaries list

Sandbach Literary Institute built

1st Jan 1857

Actual date not known.
The Literary Institute is the chief building in the town. It was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, and erected, chiefly by subscription, in 1857. The lower rooms are used as reading rooms and for small meetings, the long room upstairs being used for balls, concerts, and large meetings, as also for the Petty Sessions and Highway Board meetings. The Corn Exchange, which forms part of the same block of public buildings as the Literary Institution, is well adapted for the purpose for which it was erected. The cost of these buildings was £2,700.