<-- Back to anniversaries list

St Mary’s Church restoration commemorated

9th Aug 1847

Above the West Door is carved the following inscription commemorating the latest restoration :

John Armitstcad, Vicar. Rebuilt 1847-8-9.
Jas. Moss, Robert Cooper, Peter Buckley, Jas. C. Heap, Church Wardens
Chas. Dickinson, Jas. Barratt, Jno. Timmins, Jas. Rosson,
Jno. Pedley, Thos. Hollinshead, Sidesmen.
C. C. Scott, Architect; Thos. & Wm. M. Cooper, Builders.

There is evidence of a stone church in Sandbach since 1200. Ref: “A Short History and Description of St. Mary’s Church Sandbach, Cheshire” by John Minshull (1974, rev. 1990).

Sandbach Church c.1800