<-- Back to anniversaries list

St. Peter’s Church Elworth consecrated

23rd Jun 1846

A church, dedicated to St. Peter, was erected at Elworth by public subscription in 1846, being consecrated on the 23rd June in that year. The patronage is in the gift of the Rector of Sandbach. The first Incumbent was the Rev. William Hayes, instituted 14th Aug. 1848; he was succeeded on his resignation by the Rev. Ambrose Jones, instituted 19th March, 1851. Mr. Jones was here for sixteen years, resigning in 1867, when the Rev. Francis Richard Bryans, B.A., was instituted 21st Sept. in that year. He was succeeded by the Rev. Henry Brandt, B.A., instituted 30th April, 1873 (on the resignation of Mr. Bryans), who was followed by the Rev. Thomas Lunt, B.A., instituted 1883, the present Incumbent. — The History of the Ancient Parish of Sandbach, Co. Chester: Including the Two Chapelries of Holmes Chapel and Goostry, by John Parsons Earwaker, page 93, (1890)